30 Waterworth Drive, Margate 7054
The site is situated on the shore of North West Bay, in the town of Margate, some 20 km by road from Hobart. No marine navigational constraints or difficulties exist and there is ready access via the nearby mouth of the River Derwent and Storm Bay to the deep waters of the Tasman Sea. An alternative Southward route, via the sheltered cruising waters of the D’Entrecasteaux Channel, gives access to the Southern Ocean.
The sea distances to Hobart and Sydney are 16 and 625 nautical miles respectively. Marine activities come under the jurisdiction of Tasports.
The location of the site with respect to Hobart and its general aspects are shown in the illustrations below.
Crisp Bros. & Haywards have a fabrication hall of external steel frame construction, providing 3,570sqm of clear span floor space, 20 metres high. The shipbuilding hall has complete overhead gantry crane coverage of 7x5 tonne cranes which transverse the shed in a North South direction.
Natural ventilation and natural light are features of the building, which also add to a high quality work environment and achieve economies of operation.
- 3,570sqm Shipbuilding Hall
- 712sqm Office & Store
- 80sqm Board / Training room
- 600t capacity slipway - 80m long
- Capacity to slip vessels with 3.6m Draft
- 25t capacity Wharf (+3 phase power & services) - 63m long
- 8.7 metre water depth at the end of the Wharf
- Boat ramp
- 600t capacity slipway - 80m long
Workshop Capabilities and Services
- 7 x 5t KONE Overhead Gantry crane
- Boom Lift – 85ft
- Scissor Lift (all terrain) – 26ft
- 60t Sunrise punch and shear
- 45t Kingsland punch and shear
- SH-500M Horizontal Bandsaw
- 250mm Horizontal Bandsaw
- VB-450M Vertical Bandsaw
- 19.1 – 320mm Pipe Bevellers
- FORONIUS Aluminium Pulse Welders
- 200t break press
- 3200mm x 12mm Guillotine
- 8t BHB mobile yard crane
- Services, air, argon and electricity are piped under floor with access boxes set into the floor the slab in a 10-metre grid pattern.
- 20t Boat Trailer
- Case Magnum Tractor – Capable of pulling 200t
- 2 x Yard trucks
- Sand Blasting and painting
Crisp Bros. & Haywards Margate have the experience, capabilities and resources to undertake minor and major Marine Projects all within the shipyard facility.
Construction of new Vessels:
- Design - Naval Architecture services
- Manufacturing – Steel, Aluminium and Stainless Steel
- Fit-out, including;
- Flooring (internal and external)
- Mechanical – Supply &/or installation
- Electrical - 12V and 415V
Slipping, Survey, maintenance and general repairs:
- Pressure washing
- Surveying (MAST/AMSA &/or DNV), including;
- Full survey
- Out of water survey
- Lifting equipment testing to meet survey and Australian Regulations
- General repairs and maintenance - Steel, Aluminium and Stainless Steel
- Design and undertake minor &/or major modifications
- Re-fitting interiors
- Electrical repairs, upgrades &/or modifications - 12V and 415V
- Lifting devices (Cranes, etc.) overhauled to meet Regulations
- Ultrasonic thickness &/or crack testing and reporting
Deep Water Access
The Margate site offers immediate access to deep water close inshore. A previous foreshore roadway was closed specifically to facilitate the establishment of the Marine Park. Depth of water is illustrated by way of Hydrographic Chart AUS 171.
Contact and Further Information
Further inquiries should be directed to:
Matt Wiggins – MANAGER
Address: 30 Waterworth Drive, Margate, Tasmania, 7054, AUSTRALIA
Telephone: +61 (0)3 6267 2370
Fax: +61 (0)3 6267 1534
Email: Contact Us
Postal Address : PO Box 47, KINGSMEADOWS, Tasmania, 7249